Sunday, March 7, 2010

A Few Random Quickies

This blog entry won't be very long, just a few random blurbs about things that have been/are/will be going on.  First of all, I want to thank everyone that's visited the blog recently as this past Thursday I had 27 visitors, probably marking a new record.  Of course, a good chunk of that traffic came from me linking the blog in a comment I made on The Spoony Experiment, so thanks for visiting.  Also, it seems like Sarcasmatron has been popping up in quite a few Google searches which, thanks to the random nature of the subjects I write about, spreads between people looking for reviews of the new HIM album, wanting a list of underrated horror movies and wondering if Darren Young from WWE NXT really wears blackface makeup.

Speaking of wrestling, it looks like we're going to have the official start of The Monday Night Wars Part Deux as TNA Impact is moving to Monday nights starting tomorrow, running head-to-head against WWE Raw.  Much like I did the last time this happened back in January, I probably will do a head-to-head entry comparing the two shows, but I don't think I'll make it a regular occurrence.  As much as I love wrestling, having to watch it nowadays without anyone else around to make fun of it aloud with me, it tends to be quite boring and at times borders on painful to watch.  Despite TNA's talented roster (for the most part), they hardly even showcase wrestling all that much anymore, instead opting for tons of segments relating to Hulk Hogan or Eric Bischoff or whatever.  Actually, this might be because of TNA's vast roster because they have to figure out how to get everyone airtime but it's kinda hard to do, especially when they keep bringing in people that no one really wants to see.  I think it's time to trim the fat...most of that fat belonging to the Nasty Boys.  As for Raw, they're still on their Guest Host kick where they get celebrities to show up and participate in skits with wrestlers despite most of them knowing next to nothing about wrestling, therefore resulting in mispronounced names of wrestlers and events and such.  Right now, TNA is hyping their big attraction as AJ Styles and Ric Flair vs Abyss and Hulk Hogan in a tag match, despite Flair being "retired" and Hogan being practically immobile at this point.  On top of that, there's a rumor that Hogan has an insurance policy that becomes null and void should he ever wrestle again so I bet it'll be mostly AJ vs Abyss with Flair and Hogan fighting on the floor or backstage or something.  Also, TNA is saying that something big is going to happen in the first five minutes of the show.  Hulk Hogan hinted on a radio show earlier this week that TNA had or are in the process of signing Rob Van Dam so that might be it, but it could be something completely different.  As for the WWE, I think the only thing they're really hyping is John Cena vs Vince McMahon but I'm sure Batista will just run in and beat up Cena anyways, resulting in not much of a match.  Other than that, they're building towards Wrestlemania, which takes place three weeks from today, so it'll be business as usual for them.  I don't expect them to pull out any huge surprises to combat TNA since they probably don't need to.

As many of you are well aware of, the Oscars are tonight.  And honestly, I don't really care too much.  I probably already talked about it when the nominations were announced but considering I've only seen one of the nominated movies, I'm pretty detached from the whole thing.  In short, if Christoph Waltz wins Best Supporting Actor, I'll be a happy boy.  Should Inglourious Basterds win another award (maybe Best Original Screenplay for Tarantino?), I'll be even happier.  And if Avatar gets snubbed for Best Picture in favor or something that wasn't a gimmicky popcorn flick, then that's just icing on the cake.  Other than that, there's nothing I'm really interested in. 

And speaking of things I'm not interested in, apparently I'm the only one in the world who doesn't give a crap about the new Alice In Wonderland movie.  I'm REALLY getting sick of Tim Burton.  Yeah, he was cool in the '90s when he was doing stuff like Batman (which in my opinion hasn't aged all that well, even when not compared to Batman Begins or The Dark Knight), Edward Scissorhands, Ed Wood and other quirky fare.  But Tim Burton thinks that quirky and gothic and all that other crap is not only still cool, but feels the need to do it as loudly and blatantly as possible.  I don't get it.  Basically, they could've retitled Tim Burton's Alice In Wonderland to Tim Burton's Lets Make Johnny Depp and Helena Bonham Carter Look Weird As Hell: Part 3.  I can understand wanting to make Johnny Depp look like pedophilic nightmare fuel but why the hell does Helena Bonham Carter have the Big Head cheat activated?  Does it serve a purpose?  Are we suddenly in Tim Burton's NBA Jam or Tim Burton's Goldeneye 64?   But hey, it's on track to make well over $100 million this weekend so what do I know?

In a follow-up to the last entry, I'm about 2/3 of the way through Controversy Creates Cash.  Did you know Sting was set to be the third man in the new World order should Hulk Hogan decide to back out of turning heel?  The more you know...  After that, I'm going to move onto another book, but not any of the ones I had bought last weekend as a buddy from work decided to loan me "The Game: Penetrating The Secret Society Of Pickup Artists" by Neil Strauss.  Yeah, I am lonely, why do you ask?

Speaking of being a lonely nerd, I've recently gotten back into role-playing games after a hiatus of a couple months.  Last night, we just finished up a one-off session of Star Wars where we played a Halo-esque campaign as a squadron of Clone Troopers infiltrating a compound.  I was the demolitions guy so I pretty much spent the entire game throwing grenades and wrecking shit.  We succeeded in our mission and none of us died so it ended up better than the majority of our games.  Next, we're moving onto Mutants and Masterminds where we're playing a Steampunk-themed campaign.  I'm getting back into the mode of thinking of awesome character ideas, which is good considering one of the reasons I backed out of gaming was that I wasn't coming up with cool ideas like I had been before.  I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to be back into it full-time as the only time we can get together would be Saturday night and I'd kinda like to use that time for some other things, like pretending to have a social life.  And with me working during the week, that only leaves the weekend for me to work on things, including my upcoming surprise.  In the meantime, don't forget to visit the Veterans of a Thousand Midnights blog.  We've recorded the sessions but I don't know when they'll be up considering our buddy that runs the blog has been having major computer problems as of late.

Finally, that brings me to my surprise.  I'm not going to reveal it yet but I should have it done by next weekend...hopefully.  Also, I might be doing something with another blog that's not Sarcasmatron or the V1kM board so I'll have some news on that once I know more about it.  But it looks like the disease is spreading.  Good, good!  /rubs mandibles

Whelp, I'm gonna go get a haircut.  Sniff you jerks later!

1 comment:

  1. A lot of those google searches are probably me. I can never remember the full name, sorry. I didn't go see Alice either. Computer is still in the shop by the way.

    ReplyDelete