Wednesday, April 7, 2010

A Bunch of Random Crap and YOU Choose My Next Article!

So I don't really know what I'm going to write about here right now, probably just catch you guys up on what I've been doing lately.  Honestly, my motivation to do anything but surf the net for random crap, lurk on Facebook and maybe watch a movie in the background has dropped down to nothing.  I've hardly even logged on to Twitter to post random crap, though that makes sense as hardly anyone follows me on Twitter anyway.  So forgive me if this entry is a bit scatterbrained.

I've finished up all the movies that I bought from the movie store that closed recently.  I don't really remember where I left off but I do remember the last couple that I watched.  First of all was Takashi Miike's The City of Lost Souls and I ended up liking that one quite a bit, even more than I liked Dead Or Alive.  I think the thing was that I was expecting so much from Dead Or Alive and was disappointed yet I knew nothing about City of Lost Souls and thought it was awesome.  Even though I liked it, I thought it tried too hard to be "cool", to the point where characters are in awe of each others' coolness factors.  Quentin Tarantino makes no secret about his fandom of Takashi Miike but the movie almost felt like Miike was trying to remake True Romance...but I'm not complaining.  Also, I watched The Girl Next Door, touted as one of the most disturbing movies of all time.  Basically it has to deal with a story set in the 1950's based on true events about a girl who was tortured by her caregiver and raped by some of the other children who she took care of.  Yeah, it's messed up.  And while it's disturbing to say the least, I wasn't really cringing at what was happening (except a few scenes here and there).  While the content is harrowing, they neither sugarcoat it nor sensationalize it.  They kept it real but not totally invasive, which is probably the best way to deal with such subject matter.  And after watching the Making Of featurette, I was surprised to see how mature the children in the movie were...though I guess they'd kinda have to be to act in a movie like this.  Anyways, while the story itself deals with an era where children were taught to be seen and not heard and the ineffectiveness of adults to take them seriously, I saw it more as a case of how one person's twisted worldview can destroy innocent lives.

As of now, I have no more movies to watch.  That is until I found out that Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans came out this week.  Dammit.  Hopefully Wal-Mart has it bundled with the original Bad Lieutenant, despite the fact that the movies have nothing to do with each other, just because I still haven't seen it yet.  Plus, looking at The AV Club's release list, they're highlighting Party Down: Season 1 and I wanna check that out too.  I so don't have the money for this right now.  Ffffffuuuuuuuuuu...

Well, I guess I do have a few movies left as I haven't watched the Ringu Anthology that I picked up for super cheap at Wal-Mart a while back.  But honestly, I remember seeing the first Ringu movie and not being impressed by it at all.  So I think I'm gonna trade it in.  Actually, I've been doing a lot of trading via Goozex lately.  Basically, if you want to trade something, you put it up on the site and if someone wants it, you send it to them.  After that, you get points based on the value of what you traded to use on whatever you want that's available.  For example, this all started when I wanted to get rid of Guitar Hero 5 for the Wii since I preferred Rock Band 2.  That had a 600 point value.  Once I got those points, I looked around until I settled on getting The Conduit: Limited Edition for the Wii (which I still haven't played) for I think 500 points.  Since then I've traded Blast Works (which I tried once and was too hard for me) and Harvey Birdman: Attorney At Law (which I beat in no time) both for the Wii for 100 points each and I just sent out Sword of the Berserk: Guts Revenge for the Dreamcast for 150 points.  They also do movies too and most of them go for 100 points but the Ringu Anthology is going for 200 since it's a 4 disc set so I might as well just get rid of it and find something I like.  But yeah, I'm already finding myself going through my old games (they just started trading "retro" games a few weeks ago) and movies and seeing what I can get rid of.

Speaking of games, I've hardly played what I have.  With the addition of The Conduit, that now makes 4 Wii games that I've hardly touched.  I did play Yakuza 2 for a couple hours a few weeks back, though I mostly did side quests instead of the actual story.  Gotta get that XP, yo!

Also, I've been reading Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis...or at least trying to.  I'm finding it incredibly boring.  The story is basically Catcher In The Rye set in the '80s and I thought Catcher In The Rye was one of the most overrated books in history when I read it in high school (in the height of my antisocialness, so you'd think I would've loved it) and still do.  I know standards of decency were different back when Catcher In The Rye was written but now it's like "Oh no, he said 'Fuck'.  TWICE!  What a rebel!"  And Less Than Zero is much the same...yet the opposite.  Instead of being relatively tame like Catcher In The Rye, Less Than Zero just throws stuff like hard drug use and homosexuality at you right away so you're bored with what happens afterwards.  And with all due respect to Ellis, the writing itself kinda sucks too.  Let me relay a passage verbatim that I literally just read before writing this:  "Kim says that The Garage reopened somewhere on La Brea and Blair drives to La Brea and then down La Brea and then up and then down once more and she can't find it."  That was literally one sentence.  Worse yet, the whole book is like that!  It's just a collection of random run-on sentences about nothing in particular.  Now, I'm sure that it was done on purpose to get you in the mindset of a drug-addled trust-fund college kid in the '80s but really, it doesn't make me give a crap about him.  It just makes him sound like Ralph Wiggum.

I think I'm a bit burned out on wrestling already...at least what's on TV.  The Wrestlemania high has worn off and I don't really give a crap about what's going on in the WWE anymore, despite the fact that Jack Swagger has already cashed in his Money In The Bank title shot and beaten an "injured" Chris Jericho for the World Heavyweight Championship.  Though I did watch NXT last night, even that's starting to become a chore as the heavy favorite, Daniel Bryan, still hasn't won a match and is being made to look like a loser.  Worse yet, Michael Cole is getting (even more) annoying with his hatred of internet fans.  I thought it was funny at first but leave it to Michael Cole to beat something to the ground.  Though I think when I go to the Raw taping in May, one of my signs will be "Vintage Internet Geek". 

I also watched TNA Impact on Monday because I was bored.  Nothing really important happened except for a bunch of hot women wrestlers being objectified for my pleasure.  But in other news, TNA has actually made me give a crap about Orlando Jordan...by making him a creepy gay dude.  To catch you up to speed, Orlando Jordan started out in the WWE but was let go (supposedly) for having an "alternate lifestyle" but in reality was just too boring for anyone to care.  But now he's coming out with sweet techno music and being awkward and suddenly I just want to see what he does next.  On Monday, he came out to the stage and ogled Global Champion Rob Terry after a successful title defense...only he was wearing a Mardi Gras mask as he squirted a bottle of lotion all over himself and ate strawberries.  Now I want to see what's going to happen next as I bet OJ wants to induct Rob Terry into THE GAY COMMUNITY?!? (Credit: Noted homophobe and TNA Heavyweight Champion AJ Styles)  You see, Rob Terry is super buff, hairless, oily and has a stylishly-questionable haircut that I can only describe as a high-fade emo-mullet.  So Rob Terry would be the perfect start for OJ to start some sort of gay harem.

Anyway, as absurd as it is, I'm sure most of you don't get my wrestling talk all that much.  In a way, I'm kinda glad that I'm getting burnt out on wrestling as I don't have to talk about it on here...but I don't really know what to talk about.  Well, I have some ideas but that's where you come in.  At the top of the blog, I have a poll set up as to what I should write about next.  Right now, my top ideas are to right about random hot chicks that I like or start doing more in-depth movie reviews (of which I already have my first movie in mind).  I'm a bit bummed to be doing written movie reviews as that's something I think I could do well on video, but then you're getting into copyright issues and stuff that I don't want to deal with right now.  Also, I'm ugly.  Or I could just keep talking about boring ol' wrestling.  But if you have any other ideas, let me know in a comment.

Also, I've been fiddling around with the board a bit more, mostly with the addition of Formspring.  You may have seen it via Twitter or Facebook but basically you're free to ask me any question you want and I'll answer it.  I think it's fun.  But I'm not sure if I like how it interacts with the blog.  When I answer a question, it basically makes it's own blog entry, when I'd rather have something I can put in the sidebar, similar to the Twitter widget.  Also, I have Formspring potentially tied into here, Twitter and Facebook.  And that's a problem because I already have the blog updating my Twitter whenever I post here, which in turn updates my Facebook status (and MySpace too but seriously, who gives a damn about MySpace anymore?).  So I could possibly have multiple updates across all three mediums for just 1 question answered.  It's kinda annoying but I don't know if I should begin to separate my Twitter from Facebook or what.  I pretty much use Twitter to update my Facebook status because no one reads my Twitter anyway.  I don't know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment