Sunday, April 10, 2011

My Blockbuster Closing Haul and the Insane Videogame Backlog

I haven't had the chance to write about it lately but, for any long time followers of the blog, I love me some video store closings...as sad as that may sound when you factor in the people losing their jobs.  It's been over a year since the Blockbuster near my apartment closed down, and since then, there's been a few other store closings.  A few days ago, I was alerted that not one, but two, Blockbusters were closing down, leaving just one brick-and-mortar store (as far as I know) in the great city of Toledo.  So I've made a few stops in between the two and here's what I managed to snag.


Trip 1, I went a bit crazy on, considering my roommates just called me up about this and I got there as soon as I could, grabbing a bunch of random stuff before they closed for the night.

X-Men: The Animated Series - Volume 1 - This was the only non-used DVD I bought, which is good considering I got 2 DVDs of the beginning episodes of one of my favorite childhood cartoons.  In the years since then, the story holds up...but the animation doesn't exactly cut it anymore.  But since this was Volume 1, I was kinda worried that I wouldn't get a full season, especially since cartoon DVDs have been guilty of this a lot lately.  Not only is Volume 1 all of Season 1...but the first few episodes of Season 2 as well, which kinda makes me wonder why they didn't do season sets in the first place.  Ah well.

Machete - Watching this right now as I type this up.  Still just as fun as it was in the theater.

Piranha - I'm wondering how this will hold up not in 3D, especially since this was the most enjoyable 3D movie I've seen thus far.

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever - Been wanting to see this since I heard that it was directed from the guy who did House of the Devil, even though he doesn't want to admit it since the studio basically took the movie from him and re-cut it the way they wanted to.

Fireball - Here's the plot synopsis from the back cover: "Just released from a juvenile detention center, Tai joined Fireball, an underground team playing ultraviolent basketball based on Muay Thai principles and hosted by criminal drug lords that he believes are responsible for putting his twin brother in a coma."  Yeah, I kinda had to get this movie after reading that.

Raging Phoenix - I came home from work one day to find my roommate watching this on Netflix.  It's another Thai martial arts movie from the makers of the Ong Bak movies, The Protector and Chocolate.  Raging Phoenix stars the girl from Chocolate (Alternate Title: Muay Thai Rainman) and the action in it is great, even though it alternates pretty rapidly between bad-ass realistic fighting and super-fake looking wire-work.  But at least the main villain at the end is a hot chick with big boobs that fights in a bikini top.  Yay! 

District 13: Ultimatum - The sequel to District 13 (Alternate Title: Parkour The Movie), which I also saw bits and pieces of on Netflix.  As long as there's dudes flipping off of buildings, it's sure to be a decent watch.


Trip 1 Total: $30

Trip 2 was to the other Blockbuster that was closing down, one that I didn't know existed.  It was in a part of town I never go to, and for good reason: it was kinda ghetto.  They also didn't have much of anything left, which was weird compared to the first Blockbuster that had a ton of stuff.  But I did managed to snag a couple of movies.

Daybreakers - Been wanting to see this since it came out, especially since it offers a fresh take on the vampire genre that has since been hacked apart by the Twilight series.  Plus, anything with Willem Dafoe in it is sure to be good, well unless he's watching Madonna fingerbang or getting his wang cut off...man Willem Dafoe is weird.

DOA: Dead Or Alive - My bad movie sense kicked in on this one, especially since it's a movie based on a video game where jiggly babes beat each other up.  Bonus: Kevin Nash as a Hulk Hogan ripoff.  Maybe he'll create a paradox and give himself the Fingerpoke of Doom.

Laid To Rest - It's been a while since I've seen a good horror movie.  I've heard good things about Laid To Rest, but at every single movie store closing I've been to, I've seen it, picked it up and put it down.  I wasn't going to let it happen this time.

Trip 2 Total: $10

Trip 3 was where I finally realized that I hate myself.  You'll see why...

Jonah Hex - Yup, I now own one of the worst movies of 2010.

The Human Centipede - Yup, I now own The Human Centipede.  Now you see why I hate myself.

Dead Snow - Nazi zombies.  Need I say more?

Bitch Slap - Looks like it could be crap.  But it also looks like it could be an exploitation version Sucker Punch.  We'll see.

Death Sentence - I've been wanting to give this one a chance for a long time, though I've known nothing about it other than the cover, which shows a shotgun-wielding Kevin Bacon, and the fact that it was made by the creators of the original Saw (which was awesome before the series got the worst case of sequel-itis ever).  But when The Cinema Snob recommended it during a recent review of Insidious (which the Saw guys also made), I picked it up.  Even though it wasn't in a case, for less than a dollar it was kinda hard to pass up.

Ashes of Time Redux - I've heard the "Ashes of Time" title thrown around a bit but I don't know much about it.  But again, it was in the dollar section so I snagged it.

WWE Backlash 2007 - Also in the dollar section, but it was the only wrestling related DVD I was able to find so I grabbed it without even knowing who even wrestled on the show.  Just watched it last night/this morning and it wasn't bad but not memorable in the slightest.

Trip 3 Total: $12

So, 17 DVDs for around $50.  Not a bad haul at all.  However, I've been going totally crazy snagging video games up too.  And honestly, I don't know why because there are a ton of other games I own that I haven't even come close to finishing.  But lately a ton of games I wanted have come down to an affordable price.  And though I normally don't like doing business with them, Gamestop has been running some awesome deals too.

Anyway, let's start with Muramasa: The Demon Blade for the Wii which I already talked about last time as I bought it at Amazon with my book order.  Still haven't even touched the game.  To go back even farther, I bought Dead Rising 2 for the 360 and Jet Set Radio Future for the original XBox off of a friend.  Still haven't touched JSRF and I've only gotten my character to Level 6 out of 50 in Dead Rising 2.  It all started last weekend when I was bored and walked around Best Buy to find they had put out more copies of the Limited Edition of Super Mario All Stars for the Wii.  It was only $30 for a game (even if it was a straight port of an SNES cartridge) and a bonus CD and book, so I figured it was worth it.  Then I saw on Destructoid that Amazon had the Game of the Year Edition of Borderlands on sale for $20, but I remembered that Gamestop was running a sale so instead of getting it from Amazon and waiting for it to ship, I just went over to Gamestop and grabbed it.  Even though there were a few more games I wanted to get, I really did want to stop my buying there.  But as I was surfing around yesterday, I found out that Gamestop was running a sale this weekend where if you buy 2 used games, you get 1 free (which ends on the 10th, so if you're reading this right after I post it, you still have time!).  So I maximized my savings by ordering online AND in store.  Basically, I made an order online for the more expensive games I wanted (which I didn't want to go above $20) and then went to a store and grabbed some of the less expensive games.  On the online order, I grabbed Just Cause 2 and Wet for the 360 and Guitar Hero: Metallica for the Wii, with a total of just over $40 after taxes.  Surprisingly enough, despite being the newest, and possibly best, game of the bunch, Just Cause 2 ended up being the free one since the online price was only $17 and the others were $20.  Then I went to the store earlier today and grabbed a new copy of Rock Band 3 for the Wii and for the Buy 2, Get 1, I settled on No More Heroes 2: Desperate Struggle, Zack and Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure and Batman: Brave and the Bold, all for the Wii  It took me a while to settle on a third game because they didn't have anything I really wanted.  I wanted to play Brave and the Bold but this particular copy didn't have a cover.  Surprisingly enough, it rang up almost $10 less than the sticker price so I'm glad I picked it.  All told, that bundle also came up to just over $40 after taxes.

So over the course of this past week (give or take a day), I spent close to $140 on a total of 9 games.  Not that bad of a deal, but I really don't like plunking down that kind of cash at any one time so I really need to stop.  I went from buying no games in a long time to buying a metric crapton within a month.  So, I've decided not to buy any more video games...at least not until Saints Row 3 comes out.  But that doesn't come out until the end of the year, not taking to account any delays or the fact that I almost always wait for a price drop, so I think I'm good for a while. Between this, the Blockbuster closings and the stuff I bought online last month, I probably spent a good chunk of my tax refund already, which I didn't want to do.  Ah well, at least I'll have plenty of stuff to entertain me for a while.

As for Wrestlemania, we did record a podcast and it is coming.  But considering it's close to 4 hours long and I still haven't gone through it all, in an effort to edit it a bit and break it up in easier-to-digest morsels, it'll be a little bit until I get it loaded and posted up here, probably sometime next week.  In short, I thought the show was decent, but not really Wrestlemania-caliber.  There were a few good matches, like Rey Mysterio vs Cody Rhodes and Undertaker vs Triple H (which ended up being much better than I thought it would be) but honestly, there wasn't really anything that took place that you'll remember years, or even weeks, from now.  The podcast will attest to that, considering we all went off track multiple times per match.  While I don't quite share Spoony's hatred towards the event, he does make plenty of good points, though I'm not sure I agree with his statement that The Miz vs John Cena was the worst Wrestlemania main event since Wrestlemania 9.  I'll probably have to give it a second watch, considering most of the match was spent talking about random crap.  Anyway, look for those podcasts to come soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment