Monday, February 1, 2010

My Massive Blockbuster Haul (Part 3) And Some Grammy Thoughts

I have some good news and bad news.  Bad News: I went to Blockbuster...AGAIN, making it twice in the same weekend.  But the Good News is that I don't think I have much of a reason to go back anymore.  Since I had some spare cash, I had decided to go ahead and pick up that copy of WWE Smackdown vs Raw 2010 for the Wii.  Unfortunately, I should've gotten that feeling earlier as the game was gone.  Ah well, I'm not too bummed about it.  I figured that'd just give me more money to spend on movies but as you'll see, I didn't get a whole lot this time.

All I got on this trip was Trick 'r Treat, JCVD and Punisher War Zone.  I've kinda been passing on these three movies in previous trips for whatever reason but decided to get them now.  Those three movies only cost me about $15 so I'm pretty happy.  All told, considering I bought 9 movies for $60 on Trip 1 (not counting the trip where I got my swank Inglourious Basterds wall print), 5 movies for $30 on Trip 2 and 3 movies for $15 on this most recent trip, that comes out to 17 movies for just over $100.  Now that I realize it, I probably shouldn't be throwing around that kind of cash right now but when you consider that's just over $5 a movie, I'm pretty satisfied.  But I think this might be my last major trip to Blockbuster before it closes down.  I think if they decide to drop prices even further, I'll stop in right before they close and do one last sweep of what's left but there's nothing that I really want anymore.  I just need to figure out where I'm gonna put these movies.  My shelves are getting full.

I spent pretty much my entire weekend watching movie.  Mostly, I watched the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Movie and Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, both of which were better than I thought they'd be.  I heard the Aqua Teen movie was just like an extended episode which ran thin after a while but I thought it was pretty good and renewed my interest in it.  As for Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus, it's pretty bad, don't get me wrong.  But it's not offensively bad like most straight-to-DVD movies with SyFy Network quality CGI.  It's actually kinda harmless and therefore kinda boring.  But at least Debbie, excuse me, DEBORAH Gibson is still pretty hot after all these years.

So, yeah, that's about it for me right now.  I figure I might as well mention the Grammys which took place last night, if only in an effort to get more hits.  Honestly, I couldn't care less about the Grammys, especially after looking at the nominees.  Really, "I Gotta Feeling" was nominated for Record of the Year and most of my feelings on that track, and the Black Eyed Peas in general, can be summed up in this hilarious video.  Even the Best Metal Performance category, which is usually the only one I'm ever interested in, was pretty lacking.  After looking at the nominees for other unimportant categories, I found that Patton Oswalt was nominated for Best Comedy Album with My Weakness Is Strong and Inglourious Basterds was nominated for Best Soundtrack Album.  Needless to say, neither of them won, so what little of my interest had already gone by that point.  Looking at the list of winners, I am kinda bummed that the awards were dominated by Taylor Swift and Beyonce, leaving Lady GaGa in the dust with just two Grammys in the Dance categories.  Taylor's getting overplayed and Beyonce's been there for the past few years.  At least Lady GaGa is doing something somewhat original.  I kinda figured she'd get more but apparently she's too scary for the nursing home where they decide the winners.

But at least Kanye West didn't throw another tantrum, am I right?

Honestly, I was much more interested in WWE's Royal Rumble, which also took place last night.  I didn't get to watch it but I wish I would have as Royal Rumbles are usually the most fun matches to watch with friends.  Beth Phoenix was an unexpected entry and CM Punk got to shine in the early going with his great "Straight Edge Savior" asshole character he has going on now.  Of course, HHH had to ruin all that by eliminating Punk.  The big story coming out of last night is Edge winning the Royal Rumble after having been on the shelf with an injury since July, therefore earning a shot at a Heavyweight Championship at Wrestlemania.  As much as I like this development, I'm not 100% sure where they're going with it.  Most fans figured that Edge would return last night, but mostly to cost Chris Jericho, who was his tag team partner that dumped him after suffering the injury, the Rumble and lead to a Wrestlemania match between the two.  They're heavily leaning towards having The Undertaker vs Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania but I don't know if The Undertaker will still have the World Heavyweight Championship (aka the "Smackdown" belt) by then.  But on the Raw side, you have Sheamus as WWE Heavyweight Champion and I'll honestly be shocked if he still has the belt and is allowed to wrestle such a high-profile match like Wrestlemania so early on in his career.  But I don't think Edge vs Sheamus would draw.  So I bet Sheamus will drop the belt to someone like Randy Orton or John Cena so Edge could take them on.  I'd imagine a lot more will be cleared up tonight on Raw (which I don't know if I'll actually watch) but I kinda like it.  Plus, the main event scene has been pretty stale for a while, just being various combinations between John Cena, Randy Orton and Triple H.  Of course, since Orton and HHH bore me to tears, Cena is the one I'd root for but that doesn't stop the matches from getting repetitive.  It'll be nice to have Edge back in the main event mix.

Ok, I'm sure all of you non-wrestling fans are confused as all hell right now so I'll stop now.

No comments:

Post a Comment