Sunday, February 7, 2010

The Super Bowl XLIV-aganza...Where I Write About Going To Blockbuster Again.

I swear, I'll stop going to Blockbuster...soon.  And since I could literally give two craps about the Super Bowl (which,after having some Chinese buffet for lunch, I'm sure it'll only be a matter of hours until I can), I might as well write about it.  I'm hoping this'll be the last time I go considering they close next weekend and I'll be taking my car in for repairs then.  Plus, there's not a lot more to choose from (though there's plenty of crap left that I could enjoy) but if they drop prices low enough, I might be able to squeeze in one last stop.  Anyways, here's what all I picked up this time.

Run Ronnie Run - aka the Mr. Show movie.  Even though Bob and David didn't quite like the end result, I still enjoyed it and I actually have it on in the background right now as I'm writing this.  "The Vomit Whip: Turns vomit BACK into food!  ...no one bought it."

Leprechaun 4: In Space - Hell yeah, I know this movie is bad but it's Leprechaun.  In Space! 

Rambo - Of course, I'm talking about the new one, which might as well be called Rambo: Violence Boner Part IV.  Unfortunately, I was unable to watch the Special Features due to the disc's condition, so I don't know if the movie itself actually works.  Oddly enough, of all the movies I bought, this was the only one that hasn't worked, which is surprisingly considering Terror Toons looked like it had been jizzed on and it still worked (except for it freezing at one point but I was able to restart the movie and pick it back up near the same spot).

Crank 2: High Voltage - I haven't seen the first Crank myself but this one looks crazy enough to be awesome.

Special -  After seeing the trailer for this a few times, I thought it looked pretty cool.  Michael Rapaport plays a guy who undergoes some testing for experimental drugs and develops superpowers because of it...or does he?  The chances of him going insane and just thinking he has superpowers are fully possible.

WWE No Way Out 2007 - Yeah, I got me some wrestling.  I still don't really watch it on TV with any regularity (and still haven't seen it since doing my WWE vs TNA Head-To-Head blog a month ago) but I do like just grabbing some random wrestling show and watching it.  In fact, if I do go back to Blockbuster next weekend, I'll probably pick up any wrestling DVDs left.

There you go, 6 DVDs for about $30.  As for the movies I've seen in the past week, I only watched about two of them.  First of all was The Rebel, which was pretty good...from what I've seen anyway.  The first time I watched it, I kept falling asleep and waking up within the first 30 minutes, so I had to stop the movie and go to bed.  So I watched it again the next day, but I was so psyched about putting more stuff on my phone that I only really watched the fights.  I can't really comment on the movie itself but the fights were pretty badass.  The lead is played by Johnny Nguyen, who played Tony Jaa's main foil in The Protector, so that's saying a lot considering the star can hang with the likes of Tony Jaa.  I also watched Drag Me To Hell and surprisingly enough, I didn't like it as much as I thought it would.  I knew going into it what to expect coming from Sam Raimi but his juxtaposition between horror and comedy was a bit too jarring.  I thought Evil Dead was a good horror movie but considered Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness more as comedies.  But Drag Me To Hell tries too hard to be both, to the point where it's like casting Porky Pig in The Exorcist.  Believe me, it's not bad, but it's not quite what I had hoped.  Plus, while I normally like psyche-out twist endings, I thought this one was a bit of a downer.

You're probably not wondering what else I've been doing with my life recently but who cares, it's my blog.  I've been so excited to finally be able to put custom ringtones on my phone that I've been going crazy customizing my phone lately.  Because I'm a lonely bastard, I downloaded a bunch of pics of hot chicks and have them on shuffle so I have a different wallpaper every day.  Right now, it's set up with Maryse, Melina, Lita, Mickie James, Britney Spears, Kim Kardashian and Audrey Bitoni.  If you don't recognize the last name, you're obviously not as lonely as me and thus you probably shouldn't Google her at work.  As for ringtones, I have the theme from Zombi 2 (which is kinda weak quality, I could probably rip a better sounding version), the Techno Viking song, samples from "Phantom Part 1" and "Phantom Part 2" by Justice (Part 1 is my current ringtone and works much better than Part 2), the Lonely Man song from The Incredible Hulk TV show, three songs from Kill Bill (the Green Hornet theme from the Tokyo flyover scene, the siren-esque sound from before the big fight with the Crazy 88 and the pan flute song), a Hard Bass sample from what sounds like a Benny Benassi track, the Dr. Wily stage music from Mega Man , The Final Countdown, the Dr. Quinn Sealab "ALARM!" (still my current alarm clock tone but I accidentally set the Kill Bill theme to it one morning and it worked pretty well), the Metal Gear Solid codec sound (my text alert) and Peppy from Starfox saying "Do A Barrel Roll".  Yup, I'm a nerd.  But with as many ringtones as I have (and yet don't need since no one calls me), I want more.  I have plenty of ideas to rip some from my own CDs and mp3s but every program I've tried hasn't work.  Well, they probably would if they weren't trial programs.  One trial prevented me from saving which pretty much defeats the purpose of the program while another wanted me to register to some website to send my ringtones so that I can text them to my phone (which won't work with my phone) when I just want to save them to my hard drive and transfer them to my phone via the data cable.  So instead of using a program for ringtones, I decided to look for straight-up audio software considering all I need to do is make a smaller mp3 file from a larger one.  The only free and useful one I could find is Audacity but I haven't actually tried it out yet.

Also, watching wrestling has inspired me to give EWR another go again.  For those that don't know, EWR is short for Extreme Warfare Revenge, which is basically a simulation game written in Visual Basic where you get to run your own wrestling promotion.  I had a pretty sweet game going for a while where I ran the WWE, starting in July 2006 when the ECW relaunch was just starting.  It took me a while to play as I was writing a diary of it for the main EWR board, Extreme Warfare Battleground (which my computer can't access anymore due to the board's server and proxy issues), so I only played up to June of 2007, but it was pretty cool.  I decided that with TNA's recent shake-ups, I'd give running TNA a shot this time.  The most recent update I could find without going to the EWB board was for January 2010, so while it has Hulk Hogan and Eric Bischoff on the roster, it doesn't have guys like Scott Hall, Sean Waltman, Orlando Jordan or The Nasty Boys (thankfully) so I still get to shake things up, only not suck at it like they're doing now. 

Finally, I just got my taxes done today and I'm expecting like $940 total back for my refund.  Pretty good but in the end I'm actually getting slightly less back than I did last year.  While my Federal refund has gone up by $50 from last year, my State refund has actually gone down $60 due to tax rate cuts in Ohio, so that kinda sucks but at least it's no major loss.  Plus I'm a bit bummed that I made like $500 over the cut-off limit for a tax credit, which would've bumped up my refund a bit more.  Unfortunately, most of this money will have to go to my car as the repair I'm currently looking at now (broken front spring) will cost me at least $400-$500 and I have $300 worth of car insurance due in March.  Boo-urns.  At least I get to keep what I have in the bank...unless the repairs are more costly than I think.  But anyways, thanks Tax Wizard!

1 comment: