Saturday, January 9, 2010

2010: The Year I Make Contact...With Your Face!

I just want to take this opportunity to thank anyone that has read this blog thus far.  That's right, all four of you.  I know I've only been doing this about a month or so but I like to believe that big things are coming, if I may be a bit presumptuous.  Of course, I'll need a bit of your help if those big things are going to happen.  It's like they say (who they are, I'll never know): "If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?"  In a word: Ummm...yeah.  But to extrapolate that a bit, if I write a blog and no one is around to read it, does it really matter?  Not really. 

Yeah, a part of me does this just to occupy myself but I don't do this for my own entertainment.  In my eyes, 2010 is a "Do or Die" kind of year.  I have plenty of decisions I need to make here soon if I'm going to consider myself even a marginal success, but most of them are personal ones that I won't go into right now.  But I definitely want Sarcasmatron to reach a wider audience.  Right now, I think the only regular readers I get are my friends, which I'm thankful for.  My Feedburner count has topped out at 12 within the past month, which I'm also thankful for...considering I don't really know what that means.  For all I know, all 12 subscribers to my feed could be bots just waiting to spam me.  My blog is automatically set to update my Twitter account, which in turn automatically updates both my Facebook and MySpace status updates.  The thing is I don't really have a lot of Twitter followers, maybe somewhere in the 20s but a good chunk of them are spam accounts.  I have a decent amount of Facebook friends, but I don't know how many of them would actually be interested enough to read.  MySpace is all but dead to me but I decided to post a bulletin about the blog last night anyway.  To prevent spam, I put some restrictions on blog comments but that also means that I don't get an accurate idea as to my reader base or be able to interact with them much.  So, as you may have noticed already, I have added a Fan Box to the page so if you're on Facebook, become a fan post haste!  I'm almost always on Facebook, even if I just leave it running in the background, so hopefully I'll be able to interact more until I can find a better way.

So, in short, tell your friends!  Spread the word and let's make 2010 the Year of the 'Tron!  And not just because of Tron: Legacy either!  That's not until December anyways.

Anyway, to end the lovefest, let's look ahead a bit and see what there is to look forward to in 2010, at least what I'm looking forward to anyways.  In movies, I'm probably most looking forward to Iron Man 2, obviously.  Kick-Ass is looking like a contender, despite the fact that Nicolas Cage eerily looks like my dad in the trailers.  I just saw the trailer for The A-Team last night and that looks awesome as well.  If I have to choose a remake starring Liam Neeson, it'll be The A-Team over Clash of the Titans by far.  I saw the trailer for Titans a little while back and it looked pretty "meh" and all the charm of the Harryhausen original was pretty lost.  To make it worse, they played a song from The Used for the trailer and when I think of Perseus fighting an ugly-ass Medusa, I think of emo kids.  Of course, there is news coming out that Muse may be doing the soundtrack for Clash of the Titans so at least there's an upside.  Speaking of bands doing movie soundtracks, the fact that Mastodon doing one for Jonah Hex is hyping me up for it.  Even though I don't know much about the Hex universe, it has a talented cast (and Megan Fox) that could help make this movie stand out.  Also, there's Daft Punk doing the soundtrack for the next Tron movie as well.

[Insert witty music segue here!]  Eh, screw you, I'm hungry.  As for what I'm looking forward to in the music world, there's plenty.  HIM starts off the year with Screamworks: Love in Theory and Practice, set for release in February.  An interview with singer Ville Valo revealed that the album will be more oriented on '80s-style synths with influences from Duran Duran and Depeche Mode.  I approve!  They premiered the video for the first single "Heartkiller" on MySpace last night and while I'm getting pretty sick of seeing Valo in a perpetual state of rib-poking toplessness, the song is pretty sweet.  After that, The Dillinger Escape Plan is releasing Option Paralysis in March and I'm already calling it as an early runner for Album of the Year, much like Mastodon's Crack The Skye was this year.  Dillinger's last album Ire Works would've been my favorite album of 2007 if it weren't for Between The Buried And Me's Colors but it looks like Option Paralysis might go unopposed.  Bleeding Through is recording a new album, set to release sometime in Spring but other than a few web videos of studio footage, I don't know much else about it other than it won't be released on Trustkill.  Although there's nothing official AFI side-project Blaqk Audio has their follow up to 2007's CexCells done as well as another four or five album's worth of material written so I'm getting psyched up for that.  Also, Hyper Crush's major label debut is set to drop sometime in 2010 as well.  Seeing as I might be able to catch them live in February, I'm kinda pumped.  A quick look at Wikipedia reveals releases from Sigh, Fear Factory, High on Fire and Dark Tranquillity in the coming months and bands like A Life Once Lost, Austrian Death Machine, Cephalic Carnage, Cradle of Filth, Darkest Hour, Dimmu Borgir, Misery Index, Nachmystium and The Sword currently have albums in production.  I really need to get back into the metal scene seeing as I cracked open Decibel Magazine's Top 40 of 2009 list and had only heard one album (Mastodon's Crack The Skye, which somehow only reached #17).  A good percentage were of bands I hadn't heard of and even more were from bands that I didn't realize released records (Napalm Death, Immortal, Nile, Burnt By The Sun).  Other than that, there were only about four or five albums that I had wanted to check out but didn't.  I'm getting out of touch.

1 comment: