Sunday, January 24, 2010

My Massive Blockbuster Haul

As I mentioned in my previous blog entry, the Blockbuster Video down the road from my apartment is closing down, so they're selling off their inventory.  Last week, ended up not buying any movies due to buying an Inglourious Basterds wall print instead but this week I more than made up for it when I went back yesterday (especially since the Fight Club painting I wanted was gone).  So, what did I end up getting?

-Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (My #5 favorite movie of 2009, mostly by default as to how bad it is)
-Pontypool (An interesting take on horror movies by recommendation from The Spoony One)
-Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus (Hell yes!)
-While She Was Out (From a trailer I saw recently, it looked like a modern day take on the female-revenge-sploitation genre starring Kim Basinger)
-Murder Set Pieces (A super gory horror film)
-Terror Toons (More on this later on)
-Battle of the Warriors (An ancient China war movie starring the always-awesome Andy Lau, bought it for my roommate for his birthday)
-Bangkok Dangerous
-Bangkok Dangerous

No, the last part isn't a typo.  I bought BOTH the Nicolas Cage Bangkok Dangerous and original Thai movie, so maybe expect a possible comparison blog entry down the line.  Anyways, I walked out with 9 of these movies for just $60.  And considering they plan on being open until Valentine's Day, I have a few weeks yet to go back and get some more.  They have plenty of copies of the more mainstream stuff and I'll probably pick up whatever straight-to-video crap they have leftover as well.

Anyways, I already started in on the movie pile with Terror Toons, a super low-budget horror movie about cartoon characters come to life and killing people.  Yeah, it's pretty horrible but after watching the Special Features and learning that it was filmed in 3 days for a mere $2,300 total, I'm slightly impressed.  I was even more impressed when I watched the trailers for the company's other movies, which don't so much look like they were filmed on video tape as much as they were finger-painted into feces.  Seriously, Brain Damage Films (fitting title, eh?) makes Troma movies look like goddamn Avatar.  I'd do a full-fledged review but Something Awful did one better than I ever could.

From one piece of crap to another, I then went onto Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li.  Since I've already seen the movie in theaters, I don't feel like subjecting myself to it right now but I did watch the Special Features.  For one of the featurettes, it starts off with one of the crew members saying "There are lots of iconic images in the video games" to which I replied "Yeah, none of which show up in the movie!"  But I'll be damned if the featurettes didn't make the movie sound fun as hell to make.  If only it was a fraction of fun to watch.  But one thing that did piss me off a bit was finding out that Neal McDonough, who played M. Bison, doesn't have an Irish accent!  So why the hell did they feel the need to give Bison an Irish accent in the movie despite the fact he was born in Thailand and lived there for the entirety of his young life, where such an accent would've developed?  The fact that they gave the part of Chun-Li to the least Asian-looking half-Asian girl ever doesn't bother me.  The fact that Chris Klein chews up the scenery like a beaver on speed doesn't bother me (in fact, it's quite awesome).  But stuff like Bison having an Irish accent despite never having stepped foot in Ireland bugs the crap out of me.  I would've given it a pass if the actor had an Irish accent and couldn't develop a new one, even though if that were the case he probably shouldn't be acting.  His last name is McDonough after all.  But now it makes even LESS sense!  But at least the DVD has a commercial for Marvel vs Capcom 2 set to Stan Bush's "The Touch".  Yup.

2 comments:

  1. lol I stumbled across this blog thanks to a Google alert on "Neal McDonough"... nice little writeup. The Irish Bison thing makes no sense to me either. FWIW McDonough's a much better actor than this movie would suggest. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment! I always appreciate a new reader...or A reader at all. Anyway, even though I haven't seen him in anything else, I have no doubt that McDonough has chops. Maybe not "Chris Klein" chops but chops nonetheless. :-P But Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li might as well be retitled Paycheck: The Movie for all involved.

    ReplyDelete