Thursday, September 30, 2010

Where I've Been and Another Random Movie Roundup

I still don't know if I even have any "regular readers" here but for anyone that was worried that I haven't put anything up in over two weeks, I'll let you know.  Even though I want to keep this an entertainment-type blog, I try to live my life like an open book for anyone that wants to know.  In short, I have depression and it got a hold of me over these past few weeks, culminating into being checked into the Psych Unit for almost 4 days.  Now, I have (more) pills (for now) and a slightly better outlook on life (for now).  That's about all there is to say, really, without going into any details.  A very stupid part of me was hoping staying there would be a lot like the upcoming movie "It's Kind Of A Funny Story" where there would be a girl my age to hook up with and Zach Galifianakis would be my kooky roommate, all accompanied by an indie soundtrack and the titles would be hand-written.  But there were no cute girls my age, no funny guys in beards and (thankfully) no hand-drawn title cards.  I was there, got some pills, got some info then got out.  That's about all there is to say.  It wasn't all that exciting, but I'll tell you, missing two weeks of work and getting a whopping $50 paycheck is pretty exciting, much like riding a rollercoaster with sections of the track missing is exciting.

In other news, I checked my email earlier today to find that Russell Brand wants to be my friend on MySpace.  First of all, people still use MySpace?  I sure as hell don't.  And secondly, I'll friend him only if I get a crack at Katy Perry.  Dude used to be a junkie (and still looks like one) so I'm sure he knows how deals like these work.

Enough of that, with all the time I've had off from work, I did get to do some movie watching.  But since I haven't been able to buy many movies lately, I started going through my backlog.  And since I've finally discovered how to use my DVD Burner for evil instead of good, I'll have plenty more movies to review.  But for now, here's Random Movie Roundup #Whatever.

Fight Club - Without question, one of my favorite movies ever.  To me, it's up there with Clerks (which I can relate to being a retail slave throughout all my working years) and Seven Samurai (which I relate to by being a samurai).  Oddly enough, despite my high regard for Fight Club, I haven't owned a copy of it since my VHS days.  I've been wanting the 2-disc version that's been out of print for the past few years and have either not found it or was too expensive.  Luckily, I was able to snag one via Goozex.  Of course, the whole dichotomy between "Jack" and Tyler Durden (Do I really need to spoilerize this?  Just about everyone in the world knows the "twist", whether or not you've seen the movie.) is very interesting to me considering I too live a "single-serving" life and need someone or something to shake my worldview down to the core.  In most ways, Fight Club is very much timeless...except for one glaring flaw in my opinion.  Namely, Tyler's speech where he talks about our generation having "no great war, no great depression".  While the general meaning is still there, we now are in the middle of both a great war and a great depression.  But I don't think that makes Tyler's point null and void.  If anything, I would like to hear what Tyler would think about that.  A+

Zombi 2 - Usually without fail, if anyone asks me what my favorite horror movie is, the first one that comes to mind is Zombi 2.  And if anyone should ask me why, I can sum it up with three simple words: Zombie.  Versus.  Shark.  Yup, a zombie fights a shark, underwater no less.  That scene alone, being able to pull it off with a limited budget in the early '80s is nothing short of an amazing feat.  Of course, there's more than just that.  No matter how many times I watch it, the "Splinter Through The Eye" scene still makes me cringe.  Even though he made plenty of other movies, Zombi 2 is what solidifies Lucio Fulci as a legend in the horror genre.  A

Tromeo & Juliet - Since I didn't get to go to Dragon*Con with my friends this year, they did come back with a present: a copy of the 10th Anniversary Edition of Tromeo & Juliet signed by the head of Troma Films, Lloyd Kaufman.  I was in a pretty big Troma phase around the time of Toxic Avenger 4: Citizen Toxie but have kinda grown out of it since then. I still haven't seen Lloyd's most recent film: Poultrygeist.  But I think the main reason I've fallen out of favor with Troma in recent years has to do with their overall quality of films.  Even ignoring all the gore and fart jokes, most recent Troma films just plain look bad to me.  You see, Troma was a pioneer in making raunchy teen movies in the late '70s-early '80s.  Now, because of their desire to make "truly independent art" (And don't get me started on the "art" thing.  I like your movies and all but rubber penis monsters are not considered "art".) their quality never seems to go up.  Between the overall quality and the fact that Tromeo was made in '96, a time that some would like to forget stylistically, it hasn't really held up well, at least not to me.  But it still makes for a good B-movie..so I'll give it a B.

Iron Monkey - After giving up trying to get trying to get the disc out of its case (Thanks Movie Gallery, I hope you die...oh wait...), I had to resort to downloading it.  But I DID buy it so it's all good.  I put off watching it for a while but when I did, I loved it.  Of course, Iron Monkey is all about the Hong Kong Wire-Fu where people can apparently fly and swordfight in mid-air.  Normally, it looks cartoony (which I mean as a compliment) but in Iron Monkey, it almost looks like real people could actually do this.  Of course, Iron Monkey 2 actually DID prove this...by forgetting to erase the wires in post-production.  Believe me, as much of a modern classic as Iron Monkey is, Iron Monkey 2 is as much of a pile of poop.  It's like seeing a Broadway play, then going to the same play done by school children the next day.  A-

Deadfall - I'm saving this for a future (possibly for the next) installment of Nic-Cellence so I'll just leave it a this: I support any movie that has Nicolas Cage as a cokehead.  VIVA FUCKIN' FRANCE, MAN!!!!

To finish this off, I did end up buying one movie a few days ago.  However, I won't tell you what it is because I may just do another long-ass review for it.  I'll give you a few hints though. Many people consider it one of the worst movies of all time!  (ALL TIME!)  While that may be hyperbole, it definitely wiped it's metaphorical ass on the source material but rebounded back nicely.  Also, I haven't seen it since I was a kid...and thought it kinda sucked then too.

Sorry if this comes off as scatterbrained.  I'm still trying to get back into the swing of things after these past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment